What happens when you are served a Party Wall Notice?

terrace roofs

If your adjoining neighbour is proposing a building project that affects the regulations pertaining to the Party Wall Act 1996, he must make sure that you are served the correct Party Wall Notice before the works can begin. This is to ensure that all building works are carried our safely, correctly and without the possibility of any structural damage to the adjoining property, i.e. yours.

While there is no mechanism in the Act to block any proposed building projects, there is a clear process set out that must be followed.

If you, the Adjoining Owner, have received a Party Wall Notice from the Building Owner (your neighbour who is proposing the works), you must submit a formal response within 14 days. Your options are as follows:

1 – Give your consent

If you give your consent to the Party Wall Notice, you are permitting your neighbour to proceed, without any responsibility for any damage that may be caused to your property in the process. Clearly, this is not in your interest.

In order for your neighbour to be held responsible for any damage caused as a consequence of the building works, you need to have written evidence from a Chartered Surveyor to state the condition of the property before work begins.

2 – No consent, but appoint the same Chartered Surveyor as your neighbour

In this scenario, you agree to appoint the same Chartered Surveyor as your neighbour who will then carry out a Condition Report of your property before any building works begin. He will pay a visit to the site and prepare a report to outline the current condition of both properties involved. The surveyor will act independently to assess both properties, while any costs will be borne by the Building Owner.

Should anything impact negatively on your building during the construction works, the Condition Report can be used as evidence of the previous condition. It will then be up to the Building Owner to take responsibility for any damage, and remedy or reinstate your property to its original condition, at the Building Owner’s expense.

3 – No consent, and appoint your own Chartered Surveyor

Here, each side appoints its own Party Wall Surveyor. Your surveyor will follow the same process as outlined above, while the costs of your surveyor will be the responsibility of the Building Owner.

If there is no response after the 14 day deadline has passed, you no longer have the option to simply give consent. Instead, you will be served with a follow-up notice, valid for 10 days which you must respond to with your decision to either appoint your own surveyor or to instruct the same surveyor as your neighbour. All the site visits and Party Wall Award to allow the works to commence will be granted from there.

If you do not respond to the follow-up notice, the Building Owner’s surveyor has the power to instruct a third party independent surveyor to act on your behalf, in accordance with section 10(4) of the Party Wall Act. Once this has been actioned, a Party Wall Award will be issued and your neighbour can start his building project.

Squarepoint Chartered Surveyors are experienced Party Wall Surveyors in London with 20+ years in the business. For valuable professional advice on any Party Wall related matter, please contact us on 0207 651 0000 or email us your enquiry.

Get In Touch

Get A Free Quote & Discuss Your Property Requirements with a RICS Accredited Surveyor Today

Young, trustworthy, professionally competent and committed to delivering on time and on budget.”

Fast and friendly service with an extremely thorough survey. The Surveyor’s phone call to explain the findings of the report, before the official survey was sent, was invaluable.

I used Squarepoint for a party wall agreement. From my initial conversation with Eve through to Adam completing the party wall award, the process was smooth, professional and timely given the challenges of COVID lockdown. Thank you for your great service.

Really helpful team at Squarepoint, on hand to help with any queries and take you through the whole process clearly and at a pace guided by you. Our party wall surveyor, Adam, was great at communicating and efficient throughout  the whole process, could not ask for more.

I had been hunting for a simple job that required a surveyor’s expertise, but had been struggling to find trust throughout my enquiries, until I spoke to Adam.

The advice simply and honestly given by Adam on our first call was remarkable. His friendly but competent application and manner made it easy for me to hire him, and not only did he more than deliver on the required services, but his price was the most competitive I could find. Would highly recommend Eve and Adam at Squarepoint.”


I recently hired Adam to help with a party wall award required on both sides of my terraced house.

He was able to liaise with both parties to answer their initial questions/concerns, which led to them both appointing him as the agreed surveyor, which saved me time and money.

Adam prepared the final award comprehensively and quickly. I would thoroughly recommend him and his friendly Admin assistant Eve.

From the very first time I called Scott, he was very attentive to my requirements for a building survey. From the outset he noted down my areas of concern, updated me with progress prior to the survey and gave me a thorough debrief after the survey. The quality of his report was excellent, very easy to understand and, importantly, comprehensive.

I was extremely pleased with the excellent service provided by Scott Buchanan of Squarepoint Chartered Surveyors, and  I hope to contact yourselves in due course with a view to getting further advice.

Working with Adam Graham at Squarepoint was a very smooth and easy process. He was always clear and thorough in our communication and provided very detailed advice. I would highly recommend Squarepoint!”

The team at Squarepoint were very helpful, knowledgeable and understanding when dealing with my loft conversion and party wall agreement.”

We have used Squarepoint Chartered Surveyors at several of our Parishes and have found them to be very efficient in the production of reports on a variety of issues such as building condition surveys and PPM, defect investigations and Party Wall matters.”